Latest Threads

Latest News

Supporters

Go Back   Game Addicts > The Game Room > Gaming News
User Name
Password

Gaming News Got the scoop about an up and coming release? Let us know here.

Old 03-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Harmless

Boll is an unknown quantity at this point
Japanese Charts, DS opening whoop ass can.

Here are the latest Japanese console hardware sales for the week of Feb 27 - Mar 5, 2006:

1. DS Lite - 68,438 [68,438] units
2. Nintendo DS - 49,118 [500,482] units
3. PSP - 43,110 [412,535] units
4. PlayStation 2 - 25,778 [291,155] units
5. GBA SP - 5,493 [68,347] units
6. GB Micro - 3,213 [41,316] units
7. GameCube - 1,489 [35,716] units
8. Xbox 360 - 1,240 [26,415] units
9. Xbox - 101 [895] units
10. GBA - 98 [1,793] units

- Here are the latest Japanese console software sales for the week of Feb 27 - Mar 5, 2006:

1. Mobile Suit Gundam: Climax U.C. (PS2, Bandai) - 157,036 units
2. Seiken Densetsu DS: Children of Mana (NDS, Square Enix) - 102,555 units
3. Sengoku Musou 2 (PS2, Koei) - 97,646 [424,944] units
4. Kahashima Ryuuta Kyouju Kanshuu: Motto Nouo Kitaeru Otona DS Training (NDS, Nintendo) - 90,800 [1,433,557] units
5. Doubutsu no Mori DS [Animal Crossing: Wild World] (NDS, Nintendo) - 77,346 [2,035,023] units
6. Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth (PSP, Square Enix) - 70,084 units
7. Devil Summoner: Kuzunoha Raidou tai Chouryoku Heidan (PS2, Atlus) - 63,833 units
8. Eigoga Nigatena Otona no DS Training: Eigo Zuke (NDS, Nintendo) - 52,855 [574,427] units
9. Kahashima Ryuuta Kyouju no Nouo Kitaeru Otona DS Training (NDS, Nintendo) - 51,215 [1,641,975] units
10. Monster Hunter 2 (PS2, Capcom) - 25,527 [442,058] units
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like normal service is resumed.
With the release of the Lite Nintendo grab top spot again. Let see if they can produce enough stock to meet the huge demand!

Last edited by Boll; 03-10-2006 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Sean is on a distinguished road
Cool! Gamecube outsells XBox 360!
Old 03-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Harmless

That 360 figure is awful isn't it.

Microsoft really should up sticks and leave the territory to Sony and Nintendo I reckon. They will never be successful there console wise.

Not only do they still not understand the Japanese market but they face an even bigger problem in the people themselves. Quite frankly the Japanese are as blinkered and besotted with Sony and Nintendo as you can get. And no amount of chest beating from Microsoft will change that.

I'm sure MS are pinning their hopes on their 'exclusive' RPG's designed by some of Japans finest but I wouldn't hold my breath. Even if the titles are absolute corkers I doubt sales will jump 10 fold, which is lets face it, what MS need.

Still, looks like they (MS) are going to have a dream of a head start over Sony 'if' ps3 doesn't hit US and Europe till next year...
Old 03-11-2006, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Even a 10-fold increase would only put them at number 5 in the chart. I agree that XBox is facing an up-cliff struggle in Japan, and no number of RPGs is going to change that.

I still don't think the head start is that important. I know XBox 360 and PS3 are much more evenly matched, but look at history with Saturn launching before PS1 and Dreamcast before PS2.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:03 PM
Harmless

No, I don't know Sean... you're talking about a very savvy company in MS. If, as it looks increasingly likely, the ps3 doesn't get released in the west till 2007 then MS will have had over a years head start. MS ain't Sega.

With their (MS) portfolio of soft devs they're bound to come out with some great titles between now and then. Plus when the release of the ps3 does come around it will be facing 2nd gen xbox360 titles...

I think its becoming increasingly likely Sony could do a 'Nintendo circa N64 era' ie behave in such a manner that they think they own the market and believe whenever and whatever they bring out will be a success.

Time will tell. But an interesting question is 'Can Sony actually afford to be even a 50/50 player in the games biz'? Right now their games division is proping up their entire business. And whats their current slice of the pie worldwide, 80% say? If MS were to drastically eat into that figure Sony could find themselves being in the position of still having a very healthy games division. But the loss of market share would cause the comany to go bankrupt! It's not impossible...
Old 03-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

I see what you're saying, but I would point out that:-

A. Most publishers still see PS3 as their lead platform, despite 360 being here now.
B. XBox 360 is already dead in Japan, so PS3 will definitely win out there.
C. IMHO the current XBox 360 software line up is pitiful (in the same way the current PSP catalogue is pitiful - where's all the original exclusive stuff?).

If MS can resolve the software issue before PS3 launches, which is possible as there are some very promising looking titles in development, then they will be in with a better chance, but we're rapidly approaching the summer games release drought.

If Sony were to launch in September for example, which I reckon is a distinct possibility, MS would be releasing all their new titles at the same time as PS3 hits the shops, which causes a buying dilemma for the early adopters - do they spend their cash on a brand new console, or buy games for their existing console.

XBox 360's market share will definitely be bigger this time round than with XBox, but I don't see them overtaking Sony, no matter when PS3 does finally get to launch.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:28 PM
Harmless

Woah there big boy!

No way am I suggesting that the ps3 won't be a big seller. All I'm saying is can they cope (financially) with no longer being the biggest boy in the playground? Could they cut it with equal market share?

Thats the problem they face.

Are most publishers really leading with ps3? I don't know about Sean. Bods I know seem to suggest it being fairly evenly balanced with no clear cut winner. Ms has done a very fine job of getting devcos onboard. Plus remember Sony are running into the same old problem they had with the ps2 that being its tight arse coding environment, not that I know anything about that! But it certainly makes things less attractive for some devs.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

From what I hear Publishers prefer PS3, but many Developers favour XBox 360 since it's potentially a bit easier to get to grips with. Unfortunately it's the Publishers who normally call the shots in the end.

That said, I reckon the EA's and Activision's of this world will support both equally, much as they do now with PS2 and XBox, with the same games appearing on both.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of the platform exclusive titles on both machines, since those are normally the ones which push the machines most.